Sunday 17 March 2013

Garden 2013 no 3



My garden is the only cloud on my horizon, except the many rain clouds that constantly hang over it. We had a wee window of opportunity in February when the sun shone and the ground was dry. I did go out there a couple of times and began getting the garden ready for planting, but before I could actually plant any thing, the window closed. First we had snow, wind and ice and that gradually dissolved into steady rain. Now I find myself half way through March, nothing in the ground, the shallots and garlic should have gone in by now but I haven’t even done the prep digging. It has rained on and off for a couple of weeks, the ground has never dried out enough to get any thing done and I’m seriously behind with every thing. I’m not sure how long it will take me after eye surgery to be well enough to start gardening.
But…………..the need to be positive tells me maybe a year off growing will do the soil good and things like lettuce, radish, nasturtium, rocket, the what I call ‘pick and eat collection’ can go in any time and usually only take about 6 weeks before they are ready. 

I find myself looking for frogspawn every day and worrying that the ice has prevented the frogs from spawning, I hope not, I loved watching the little tadpoles last year. I’m spending most of May in France so I guess the modified plan must be to utilize containers as much as possible and plant things before I go that will be ready when I get back.
But, since I have nothing of interest to report on my garden, I thought I would share a link passed onto me by my sister.


My sister has alerted me to a fantastic ‘new’……………not exactly new but new to us, garden blog. As far as I can see this lady is doing every thing right. I especially love her post about composting. She composts just about every thing from dog poo (somehow I’ve never liked the idea of composting ‘poo’ but maybe I’m wrong). to egg shells and she does it every where from pits in the garden to little pots that she plants directly into. I also found the post on garlic interesting. I’ve book marked her site, joined the site and intend to visit regularly, recommend any one who is interested in gardening does the same.


http://averysmallfarm.wordpress.com/page/2/

6 comments:

  1. The signs are not very encouraging so far this year that things will be any better than last year, which was a wash-out almost from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still hopeful, I have the whole of April before I go to france and I'm hoping I an get something started before I go. So far I think this is worse than last year, its just too cold for me to go outside and do any thing.

      Delete
  2. The time that you don't spend in your garden can be spent in Nature's natural garden, and, as you say, letting the soil rest is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol.. yes.............positive thinking, my soil deserves a rest.

      Delete
  3. I hope you don't get all that rain like you did last year-too much rain is as bad as too little. I am off to check out the garden link. I compost all of our food scraps, but I remember reading years ago that it was not wise to compost dog poo do to diseases and such that can be passed on to us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re the dog poo..............thats exactly what I thought, but I'm getting a bit confused about that now because I read more and more people are composting every thing including animal waste.

      Delete