Sunday 17 March 2013

Garden 2013 no 2


Garden 2013 no 2

Last weekend I spent a whole hour in the garden, one whole hour. Not that I did very much but it was good to get out there. First thing was to empty the shed and put it all back in some sort of order. I’ve been thinking about my old bike recently and when I was sorting out the shed I dragged the bike out from the back. It’s not ‘ridable’ at the moment but I don’t think it needs a lot doing to it, new inner tubes for the tyres and maybe some new brake cables and that should be it. The chrome handlebars have lost their shine and are rusty but I guess I could clean them up. I’m still not convinced I would be safe riding even if I did get the bike sorted, but  I have someone who knows someone so it shouldn’t actually cost me vey much to get this bike of mine back to road worthiness and then I’ll give it a go. There is only one way to find out if I can still ride safely and that’s to try.
 

After the shed was sorted I turned my attention to the ‘water’. We have a lot of water here, but even so I don’t like to waste it. I have one smallish water butt that’s full and I also have a collection of old buckets and containers scattered around the garden. These are in various stages of ‘full’. 


The empty wormery but has been in the shed ever since the worms died and the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to use it as another water container. I always thought it would come in useful, and now it has. It’s full of rainwater ready to water my plants in the dry season, if we ever get a dry season. I still have buckets lying around the garden, I like to collect as much water as I can, we have so much of the stuff fall from the sky and I really hate seeing all that good water flowing down the drains and being wasted
I had a general tidy up, spread chicken poo pellets over the veggie plot in readiness for my shallots, picked up all the littler that had blown in off the street and checked out the new spring growth. So far I have Snow Drops and Dwarf Iris in flower and I’m sure the daffs will be there soon. Now all I need it the opportunity to dig over the plot and plant the shallots which I’ve already bought.
Like I said I didn’t do much, but it’s a good feeling to know the garden is starting up again.

2 comments:

  1. The bike doesn't look like it needs to much doing to it. It would be nice to get out cycling in the summer months.

    With the amount of rain that's fallen in the last few months, it's no surprise you have plenty gathered. Think we might actually get a dry season this year?? No signs of it yet.

    Love the colour of your dwarf Iris. The only things in bloom here so far are snow-drops and daffs. None of the trees have any blossom yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the almond trees are in full bloom here, but haven't seen too much else out. Try out your bike where you can make a soft landing if that's possible!

    ReplyDelete