Wednesday 22 August 2012

Sep 5, 2010, Multiply, Food for free,






(above; from my garden)
That time of year again; food for free

I don’t think I need many words here, the pictures are self explanatory. Its that time of year again, time to go hedgerow picking. My garden fruit  didn’t amount to very much. I didn’t really expect it to because most of the fruit was only planted this year or toward the end of last year. But; what I did harvest from the garden made  a couple of very tasty little snacks. Hopefully by next year there will be enough for a few meals.

The wild berries are abundant this year.



The Rowanberries are full and plump very early. Last years Rowanberry and Apple Marmalade is marked October 09, and here we are, at the start of September and already the Rowanberries are ripe. I had my two grandchildren staying with my and they were happy to help. Later that evening, after tea, wicked granny that I am, I sent my grandson up the ladder to pick as many of the tiny crab apples from my garden tree as he could reach. It’s always the same, the nicest ones stayed on the tree right at the top out of reach. These little apples are not good enough to eat but they add a fantastic flavour and good setting quality to preserves. And this weekend I’ve had my other granddaughter staying. I explained to her that I wanted to attempt rosehip syrup for the first time this year. She picked as many Rosehips as she could and I’m pretty sure I can make a batch of syrup from them. Once I had a bag full of Rosehips we wandered along by the burn picking the ripe Blackberries, and this afternoon she has gone home proudly clutching her jar of Blackberry and Apple jam. Can’t get a lot fresher than that, this time yesterday they were on the bush, teatime today the jam will be on her toast.

6 Comments
Add a Comment
   

secretcorners wrote on Sep 5, '10
I was just thinking earlier today as I drove home from the mountains that it would be great to have some crab apple jam. Mum use to make some wonderful crab apple jam. There were several crab apple trees at Grands and I remember trying to eat them raw; impossible! However, made into jam they are both a pleasure to see (a pretty reddish colour) as well as a delight to taste.

mitchylr wrote on Sep 5, '10
Takes me back to my childhood, of blackberry picking and apple....ummm....scrumping. LOL

I was out photographing at Westfield Pill Nature Reserve last week and was amazed at the amount of wild blackberries this year. Bumper crop!!

greenwytch wrote on Sep 5, '10
wonderful, sounds like great eating in the family's future. gorgeous photos, thank you. ; D

brendainmad wrote on Sep 5, '10
Delicious

nemo4sun wrote on Sep 5, '10
you be jammin'!

great pictures

:)

starfishred wrote on Sep 5, '10
cool loretta--
here they marinare the little crabapples in cinamon and sugar and a few other spices and a little rum then they are good to with things--

No comments:

Post a Comment