Tuesday 21 August 2012

Nov 23, 2008, Multiply, Indoor gardening, Poinsettia



Now I know winter is here, I have added a Poinsettia to my collection. I haven't had one of these for a few years because I'm not that good at keeping them past Christmas..............advice always welcome, maybe with a few pointers this one may survive into February.
Unlike the Poinsettia my Bamboo has exceeded all expectations. These started life as a few green shoots about 2 inches tall growing in water in an ornamental tub given to me for Mothers day this year.............yep thats right.........this year!! Don't ask me how they grew so big in such a short time 'cos I have no idea. They outgrew the pot they came in so I thought I should plant them up in compost and this is the result.
The one in the green and yellow pot, that is some sort of miniature orange plant. This one I rescued from 'friend' who I branded a plant abuser, the poor thing was almost dead (plant not friend) but I think it's doing OK now.
The three in the window are the 'babies' I told you about from the big Money Plant that sits in my kitchen window.
My outdoor garden remains out of bounds but at least it looks better now that is has a soft covering of snow; and until it is more accessible I can happily play with my indoor garden.

5 Comments
Add a Comment
   

acousticeagle wrote on Nov 25, '08
Everyone who buys a poinsettia for christmas is given the poinsettia 'test'...how long will that plant live? People can buy them in supermarkets here in Australia too, but after christmas you rarely see them in anyone's homes. Why? Cos they die! Delicate things aren't they? Greenthumbs know how to look after them, they are particular about the right amount of water and light. Very colourful.

I would like to have some live plants but I had to give up my only pot plant when I moved to the island. I would like an indoor umbrella tree. They look great.

dianahopeless wrote on Nov 24, '08
Poinsettia grow outdoors all year round in Texas. They also seed themselves in all my containers! lol

djdx wrote on Nov 24, '08
I got one to bloom again once. This was long time ago. I remember cutting it way back, like to about one or two bud places (forget the word) and then in October I put it in the closet for 12 hours each night. They are native to Greece so that should give some idea.

starfishred wrote on Nov 23, '08
good luck with the pointseta my problem is to keep them alive till christmas hehhe.

veryfrank wrote on Nov 23, '08
Yes a poinsettia is always a sign of the upcoming holidays. They look awful the rest of the year, but respond and recover well if treated properly from September to December.

No comments:

Post a Comment