Wednesday 22 August 2012

May26 2012 this n that



THIS N THAT

And suddenly its summer, long may it last.
This week it’s been hot, dry and sunny. Utterly frustrating having to go to work when the weather is so good and there is so much to do. Every day I wake up and think, ‘this time next year I’ll be free from work forever’.  These 6 weeks, last two in May and the whole of June are often the best here in Scotland, last year when school finished at the end of June, so did summer. I’m hoping the same doesn’t happen again this year, and then I remind myself, if it does, it will be the last time it effects me because next year……..I’ll not be working at all after March.

Now that I have a venue to show my work I realise how unmotivated and disorganised I’ve been in the past. I have so many bits of drawings and paintings that are unfinished, none of my drawings are mounted, my system is, fill up a sketch book, throw it in a draw and forget it, start a new one. Now I’ve become selective, framing is far too expensive but the local man who has a shop in the high street only charges £6.00 to mount drawings and wrap them in clear plastic. That makes them clean, tidy and presentable enough to show without putting the sale price too high. I’ve left 6 of what I thought were my better drawings with him to mount. I have THREE unfinished paintings on canvas that I’m rushing to complete within the next couple of weeks. When using canvas to paint I paint all the way round the sides in a neutral colour and that way, they don’t need expensive frames.
I was asked to get together some information about myself and present in a way that can be left in the coffee shop for people to look at. I ended up doing a potted history with pictures saying how; while I loved Art all the way through school and Art College, once out of college and into the big world of grown up life; jobs , bills, kids etc, seemed to get in the way of art and I virtually gave it up. That is until about 5 years ago when I found myself living alone, no dependents and the freedom to do exactly what I wanted to do, and promptly took myself back to art classes. While writing all this out, I realised how little I have left of those days at college, I found a picture of me in the studio at college age about 19,and a couple of pictures, both now lost, that I painted at college.
Its very weird looking at them now, a whole lifetime has passed and it’s as if  I’ve gone full circle.
Am I alone I wonder, in feeling that I don’t quite fit anywhere anymore? I remember a similar feeling as a teenager, neither a child nor an adult, a sort of in-between, one day one thing the next day another. That’s the way I feel now; too old to be going out, drinking and clubbing with work colleagues in their 30’s & 40’s, way, way too old….. I’ve neither the inclination nor the stamina, but no where near old enough to be hanging about with the over 60’s (which I now am) who seem to moan about every thing and anything at every opportunity. The more people I get to know of my own age, the less I like them; on the whole they seem a pretty right wing reactionary lot, the ones I’ve met come across as  far older than me in general, while only a year or so older in actual age. It’s all very confusing. Much as I love my afternoon ‘leisure art class’, its full of people in their 60’s and 70’s who seem so ‘old’ in attitude, I sometimes feel I have more in common with the young full time students than I do with my fellow classmates.
The countryside is full of yellow rapeseed at the moment, a terrible thing if you have hay fever, but a painters dream. I’ve been busy taking photographs and once I’ve organised myself for the coffee shop, (I’m meeting the manager with my work on the 9th) my first new project will be these beautiful yellow fields. Being Saturday, I’m not at work, and its one of the hottest days so far. I’ve spent the morning in the garden, there was quite a lot to do, I even had to get the hose pipe out for the first time last night and despite the soaking I gave it then, every thing is bone dry this morning. The garden is a great place to be right now, the birds are singing and splashing in the pond, the last of the bluebells are still waving around in the periwinkle and the pink London’s Pride is in full bloom. I still think I’ve lost a lot of the veg I planted due to the wind, frost and torrential rain, but what is left is looking good.
And now……………………..back to the business of painting, I’m working on finishing a portrait and a landscape this afternoon.
Have a great Saturday and enjoy the sunshine while you can.......

The two paintings from my college days... just for Nemo

 

 
17 Comments
Add a Comment
   

nemo4sun wrote on May 26
thank you so much ~ i love them

they both have a touch that really appeals to me

:)

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 26
nemo4sun said

i would love to see the two big paintings

:)
Done............. :-)

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 26
bernardv said
The wisdom and tenacity of age but, with the capabilities of youth.
lol... nice of you to say so but afraid not.............the body feels pretty knackered these days, whoever said youth is wasted on the young knew what they were talking about.

bernardv wrote on May 26
Maybe you're in that 'in between time'? The wisdom and tenacity of age but, with the capabilities of youth. Lots of years left in you yet I'd imagine.

Lovely paintings too by the way.

greenwytch wrote on May 26
I agree................something in the stars, I too seem to be going through a 'thinking and realising' phase :-)
i'm doing lots of that these days as well...and a ton of 'releasing', too. i am feeling more at peace for doing so, i hope you are, as well. XO

nemo4sun wrote on May 26
I also have two big paintings from college and that's all.
i know how that goes ~ the years have taken momentos from me also

i would love to see the two big paintings

:)

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 26
veryfrank said
Okay I'm impressed, you have turned into a multi-tasker.
LOL... thanks Frank, but I don't feel very organised at the moment, I feel as if I'm trying to catch up with myself. But the good thing is its made me think I'll be more prepared in the future. I intend to store my drawings in date and have them mounted as I go. I'm also going to try to finish one painting before starting another,,,,,,,,,,,guess its a learning curve :-)

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 26
mitchylr said
t's nice to see that summer appears to have arrived fully now
Oh and not before time :-).....................hope its as good there for you as it is here.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 26
nemo4sun said
you fit in here
awwww thanks Nemo................that's nice to know, and yes it is a shame I've lost so much. I did keep a lot of stuff from my college days but when I split from my husband I had no where to store all the big boards and canvas, I left them in his attic and eventually he took them to the tip. The other stuff has just been lost over the years..............I have those three photographs and I also have two big paintings from college and that's all.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 26
First of all, I don't think you're as disorganized
Hi Brenda, that's nice of you to say so but now that I'm actually trying to get things sorted.............I feel as if I've been totally disorganised in the past, maybe its just excitement at whats happening. And its nice to know I'm not the only one feeling at ods with people of my own age.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 26
my life lately has been filled with lots of deep thoughts and realizations of
I agree................something in the stars, I too seem to be going through a 'thinking and realising' phase :-)

veryfrank wrote on May 26
Okay I'm impressed, you have turned into a multi-tasker. LOL You have a good sense of organization, I'm confident that you will get it all taken care of and still find time to spare.

The venue for showing your art is such a good idea and can be so personally rewarding. The unfinished paintings could be titled 'work in progress.'

mitchylr wrote on May 26
It's nice to see that summer appears to have arrived fully now. Hoping it's not a short-lived thing. Good luck with the art showing/selling.

nemo4sun wrote on May 26
i am excited about you showing at the shop

it is a shame that the old paintings have gone ~ i wonder what has become of them?

it seems to me that you are getting some pretty wonderful things done

:)

nemo4sun wrote on May 26
I don’t quite fit anywhere anymore?
((((hug)))

you fit in here

i love reading your thoughts and doings

:)

brendainmad wrote on May 26
First of all, I don't think you're as disorganized as you say and I'm sure looking forward to seeing your exhibition. For quite some time I've bee trying to get rid of some of the clutter (mostly physical clutter) in my life. I agree with you about people more or less our own age. To me it seems that they're always complaining about how ill they are. One of my neighbours even told me she thought she was dying the other day! I try not to complain all the time even when I'm in pain. Happy gardening this weekend.

greenwytch wrote on May 26
WOW! it must be something in the stars and winds.....my life lately has been filled with lots of deep thoughts and realizations of things i must change about me. looks like the garden is coming along quite nicely. how cool to see a pic of your younger self...many good wishes to you as your journey continues. HUGS ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment