Wednesday 22 August 2012

May 9 2011, Garden no 5












Garden 2011 No 5

Typical !! It rained and rained and rained all weekend and then as soon as we all have to get up and go to work…………………..the sun shines. I couldn’t wait to get home and potter around the garden, and then when I did eventually get home, the rain came back and I spent the evening dodging the showers.

I was pleased to see my Fence has survived the monsoon and the winds, in fact I was very impressed, it seems rock solid despite not having enough concrete in the post holes and being battered by the elements these last few days. It’s about half done, the plan is to remove the second half of the hedge during the week and build the rest of the fence over the weekend.
This is the size of debris pile, my guess is it will at least double in size by the time all this work is finished, and then I suppose I have to find a way of disposing of it.

But on a brighter note………….all this rain has done wonders for the plants, my little decorative corner garden is looking good and with no fear of frost I’ve bought the geraniums out again.
These red geraniums have sat on my living room windowsill all winter where they have cheered me up with their constant display of red flowers.
The rain has bought the onions and garlic on, last time I looked (before the deluge of rain) there were no shoots and just look at them now.  The lovage has also flourished in the rain, in fact I think this is the most prolific my lovage has ever been. The fruit canes are doing really well, but unfortunately something seems to have used my cherry tree as a scratching post. I’m not sure what has caused this damage, neither am I sure what, if any thing, I can do bout it. I just hope the tree recovers and there is no lasting damage.  Looking up into the old apple tree I can see the pink blossom already beginning to show, think I could be in for a good crop of apples this year. And lastly, this is my lawn; take a good look because this may well be the last photo ever taken of the grass. The area marked off with string is destined to be my new veggie plot.


10 Comments
Add a Comment
   

acousticeagle wrote on May 10, '11
You've pulled the privet for every good reason. When they get old, tatty and scruffy and you know nothing is going to fix it, then it really freshens things up to reef stuff out.

bennett1 wrote on May 10, '11
Vegetables are ever so much better than grass. Your picture of the apple blossoms is very lovely indeed.

djdx wrote on May 10, '11
Our hedge was starting to get away from me. I didn't get the top trimmed and with the snow we had this winter, it's falling over, but I had a go at it today. I would have planted something else but make do with what's here; it is lonicera nitida.

I look forward to following your garden.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 10, '11
PRIVET
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privet
''Privet is also an invasive species. Many environmental volunteer groups seek out to remove it because it will take over most habitats''.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 10, '11
Just asking about the hedge. You decided to get rid of it, why was that?
LONG STORY.......lots of reasons, mostly its a very old privet hedge and some of the bushes had totally died, I always seemed to be dragging old dead wood out, some of the roots were dead and just lifted out. Also it was bare at the bottom and bushy at the top and no amount of trimming changed that. There were big holes where dead bits had been taken out. By taking it out I have gained a lot of extra ground.
And I have to admit, I have a bit of a 'thing' about privet, its not a native of this country, it was introduced as decorative hedging and if you HAVE to have a hedge, I think it should be native hedgerow, which is exactly what I am going to plant on the inside of the fence once the fence is finished. I have some baby hawthorn, dog rose, dog wood and holly saplings sitting in a bucket of water waiting to be planted along the inside of the fence. They will take a few years to make a good hedgerow hence the need for a fence and while they are growing I get to use the extra ground. By the time my little bit of old fashioned native hedgerow is fully grown I don't suppose I will be here to see it, but its a nice to think it will be there. I like to think it will encourage more birds and wildlife into the garden.

acousticeagle wrote on May 10, '11
Hey, all that looks super. Something used your new cherry tree as a scatching post - nooooo! Could that be a neighbour's cat? Maybe a little bit of plastic pipe curled around it while it's growing?

Just asking about the hedge. You decided to get rid of it, why was that?

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 10, '11
I do love your garden.
thanks Brenda... i love it too when I can get out there and not be stuck indoors watching the rain :-)

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 10, '11
wish to do the same with a spot of grass on our co-op property
I have read several reports recently which all seem to be saying that turning gardens and waste land over to food production is becoming more and more common. Seems to be one of the positives of people having to cope on less and less money.

brendainmad wrote on May 10, '11
I do love your garden.

esoterika713 wrote on May 9, '11
I wish to do the same with a spot of grass on our co-op property. I need help with the design and the building. I hope to find someone who is handy.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment