Wednesday 22 August 2012

March 16, 2010, Multiply, The Gardening starts no 6







Another little garden update;
It was Mothers Day on Sunday and my daughter asked me if I would like to go the the garden center with her (silly question!!).

She bought me a couple of trays of bedding plants, she said she thought I would rather chose bedding plants than have a bunch of flowers. What a wise daughter.
Sure you remember these ... 'containers' from last year when they were full of multi-coloured bizzy lizzy throughout the summer months.
 It's so nice to have them planted up again, this time in various shades of pink.
This is my most recent eco-addition to the garden. I haven't figured out a way to have a water butt in the garden to collect rain water BUT;.... these cut off milk containers will (in theory)  collect the rain water ready for me unscrew the 'lid' and fill the watering can. One container only holds 2 liters but if I get enough of them fixed to the fence it will certainly help.
14 Comments
Add a Comment
   

agnes128 wrote on Mar 18, '10
A few years ago, I put some tetra brik bottle into a few pots. The brik was punched with holes and the neck just showing. It was my answer to pots with water reservoir included that I was not able to afford ;-D It worked so well I still use the concept.

djdx wrote on Mar 17, '10
Bedding plants, what a great idea instead of a bouquet! They look lovely.

hedgewitch9 wrote on Mar 17, '10
Oh Loretta what an excellent idea re: the milk bottles!!!!

You never fail to inspire :D

agnes128 wrote on Mar 17, '10
What a good idea!

brendainmad wrote on Mar 17, '10
The milk jugs are a excellent idea!

nemo4sun wrote on Mar 17, '10
very nice to have all the color after the winter whites

:)

forgetmenot525 wrote on Mar 17, '10
Are you planning on moving the primrose out when they finish blooming?
I shall see how it goes, my purple primula bloom twice every year, once in the spring and once in the autumn. I shall maybe find some nice summer colour for the containers.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Mar 17, '10
bennett1 said
Lovely Mother's Day. Can you plant outdoors now? Are you frost-free?
morning Bennett, yes... frost free (I hope) and even if we do have the odd frost I'm pretty sure the primula will be ok. I have loads of yellow and purple primula that have been out all year. I thought the pink would be a nice colour addition.

mitchylr wrote on Mar 17, '10
That was a nice gift from your daughter. That's a really good idea for catching/distributing rainwater, and a good way of recycling too.

initiativestain wrote on Mar 16, '10
Fitting gift from you daughter Loretta. It's ironic as I here Mothers Day is within the second week of May, and you would think that a "crown" country would have it at the same time. Regardless a very Happy Mothers Day to ya.

bennett1 wrote on Mar 16, '10
Lovely Mother's Day. Can you plant outdoors now? Are you frost-free?

veryfrank wrote on Mar 16, '10
Very nice idea for Mothers Day, ours is in May and I will be planting some new beds as gifts.

secretcorners wrote on Mar 16, '10
By the way, your recycled plant containers are cute.

secretcorners wrote on Mar 16, '10
Are you planning on moving the primrose out when they finish blooming? Later in the summer they will need less sun. They had some at a Lowe's here that were 50p a pot, but I left them since they won't winter over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment