Tuesday 21 August 2012

July13, 2009, Multiply, Progress with the pond



An Afternoon/Evening in the Garden

I made a little more progress in the garden today. The ‘pond’, such as it is has been sitting patiently waiting for the cement around the edge to go ‘off’ since last week when the builder eventually turned up. I sealed the plug and the overflow and it had started to collect rain water but today I decided it was time to move things on a bit. So I took a trip to the garden centre and bought some native pond plants, some aquatic compost and aquatic baskets to put it all in.

First I set all the plants out so I could see what there was, then I tried to make little platforms so that the plants could go at different depths, they were all labelled so I could see which ones went at the deepest part and which ones were supposed to sit at the waters edge.
Then it was just a case of planting and filling the bath up a bit more with tap water. I found the whole thing a bit messy and a lot more difficult than potting ordinary plants in garden containers. As I began to put more water in my main worry was that the water just looked like mud.
I decided to only half fill it and then go check on it in the morning to see if the mud settles and if the water clears itself. I hope it does because I don’t have a clue how to make the water less muddy if it doesn’t just clear of its own accord.
 Once I put enough water in to cover the base of baskets I threw in the little bits of floating plants that are supposed to oxygenate the water.
Having done that, I turned my attention to the new ‘rockery’ and emptied a huge bag of compost all over it. I emptied a few of my containers on top and planted the contents as best I could.
Some of my containers seemed to have dried up a little and the plants were not doing so well, so I thought maybe they would thrive a bit better in the rockery. Once I finished I realised I probably need another couple of bags of compost thrown over it but at least I made a start.


To finish my afternoon/ evening I planted three new containers of lavender, well you just can’t have too much lavender in a garden. And then I headed back indoors, I do hope my water clears overnight.

13 Comments
Add a Comment
   

tee1962 wrote on Jul 18, '09
how pretty.. i love what you did. my husband loves to do stuff like this around our yard to ill have to take some pictures to show you. thanks for sharing . huggs to you

kvnwheeler wrote on Jul 14, '09
Looking real nice, Lavendar is a must I agree, the water will clear and the mud will settle, thats were all your little creepy crawlies will live when they move in which they almost certainly will

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 14, '09
I'm not sure why but lavender is the one plant that seesm to thrive in my containers. A lot of the herbs I try to grow in containers dry up and die very quickly in the hot weather but Lavender does well. Now every time I have to empty our a pot of dried or dead herbs, I just buy more lanender..........like I said you can't have too much lavender.

starfishred wrote on Jul 14, '09
Loretta my lavender is 20yrs. old on my porch really neat huh and I to am planting more and more-can't wait to see your pond
actually lavender thrives with high humidity and rain to but it needs a pourus ground so it can drain well it doesn't like wet feet-and lavender is funny it can be picky about where you plant it full sun is best-

kathyinozarks wrote on Jul 13, '09
It all looks wonderful Loretta, good luck with your new pond-I know nothing about those, so anxious to learn how you do with it. Frank just answered my question I was going to ask about lavender. I got two gorgeous large lavender plants this spring-one looks great, the other one looks like it is dieing back on me. we have had extreme hot and humidity and lots of rain storms-so I am thinking too much water for them.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 13, '09
thanks folks..............I enjoyed this afternoon even though it was quite hard work, have a sense of achievement.

veryfrank wrote on Jul 13, '09
Moving right along, and very nicely too. I agree about the lavender, but I don't have luck growing it here. It is too hot and humid (day and night) in July and August. Several of my perennial plants are replaced each year because they burn up in the mid-summer.

I expect that you will be seeing muddy water when it rains and whenever visitors take a plunge. Perhaps some river stones to help keep the muck down??

edtrain5 wrote on Jul 13, '09
Lovely work my friend...

brendainmad wrote on Jul 13, '09
Your garden's looking very nice.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 13, '09
agreed with you about the lavender~
I've began to use lavender as a sort of reward..............every time i do any thing in the garden i seem to finish off with lavender.........like a reward to me for working hard in the garden.

greenwytch wrote on Jul 13, '09
wow, what great ideas! agreed with you about the lavender~

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 13, '09
bennett1 said
I want a pool in my garden
hmmmmmmmmmm would this be reason enough for a new bathroom maybe?? lol

bennett1 wrote on Jul 13, '09
I think it will clear overnight as some of the sediment settles to the bottom. I am soo envious. I want a pool in my garden. Just think of what the birds will do. It's so lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment