Tuesday 21 August 2012

July 28, 2008, Multiply, what is a herb 8, Nasturtium




Nasturtium

I have just bought 6 nasturtium seedlings, I didn’t plan too but I saw them in the shop, the last of the batch, beginning to wilt and slightly reduced in price and on impulse I bought them. I quite like nasturtiums but has steered clear before because I has this idea that I should only plant native European plants and the Nasturtium plants were first discovered in the jungles of Peru and Mexico in the 16th century. Guess they have been here for quite a long time now.

Nasturtiums are popular because of their rich colours, like jewels in the garden. They are fast and easy to grow and can survive quite a lot of neglect, not that any one I know would neglect their plants of course. There are loads of varieties, bushy plants, trailing plant, or climbers; it’s the climbers I like the best. Not only are they beautiful, they are ultimately useful too. The leaves and flowers are edible, with a peppery tang, and even the seed pods are used as a substitute for capers.
If grown from seed they germinate after 7-10 days, they should be sown to a depth of about 1/4" and the Plant spacing for seedlings should be about 6 inches. They grow to a Height of around 12 to 18 inches and are Annual.

Culinary Uses: Why consider nasturtiums an herb? Because the entire plant is edible! Yes…. the ENTIRE plant. This peppery plant is perfect for salads, herb vinegars, appetizers and garnishes. You could mix assorted greens such as romaine, radicchio or spinach with a handful of nasturtium blooms topped with a home made dressing. Or they can be used top  bake a batch of spice cupcakes, the cup cakes can be frosted with a cream cheese topping  and then topped with a single nasturtium bloom, what a luncheon treat.
These plants have hot peppery leaves and can add a watercress-like flavour to salads, sandwiches, vinegars, or even summer cold soups. The edible flower buds can be stuffed with cream cheese, used as a garnish, or used to create golden herbal vinegar with a spicy accent. The seeds were ground during World War II as a replacement for pepper and you can still do this. Wait for the seeds to dry-they are larger than peppercorns-and grind them in a grinder. You can add this mixture with herbs to make a savoury herb salt as well.
  Nasturtium vinegar is wonderful as well. Add several blossoms and some leaves to a jar with a clove of garlic. Fill with vinegar and allow to sit for 4-5 weeks. I also like adding it to other herb vinegar combinations for a nice peppery addition and it colours the vinegar a lovely shade.
Nasturtium buds can also be used in the kitchen. They can be pickled and used in place of capers, although unless these are grown on a large scale this isn’t really practical. Also of course, if you pickle the buds you’ll have no flowers.

Like most herbs it even has Medicinal uses. Nasturtium can be used externally as an antimicrobial poultice or compress for treating local bacterial infections. It can also used internally as a medicinal tea to help fight bacterial infections, especially respiratory infections or it can br used in the same was as treatment for the flu or just a common cold. The leaves have a very high vitamin -C content which is also thought to help in relieving cold symptoms. The tea can  also be used to help fight infections of the reproductive and urinary tracts
How to use this Herb Medicinally
The leaves or the flowers can be used.
Tea: Cover and steep 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls of fresh leaves in 1 cup boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain out leaves. Typical adult dosage is one cup tea taken up to three times daily. Nasturtium leaves and flowers are medicinal when added to the diet. Compress: Soak a clean cloth in the medicinal tea as prepared above and apply externally. Poultice: Bruised leaves are placed between 2 thin layers of gauze and applied to the skin.
6 Comments
Add a Comment
   

hipppy wrote on Oct 14, '08
Lovin' this!
I have a free - SEED EXCHANGE group in Multiply.
I would love to have your knowledge and your presence in the group!
I feel you could post some facinating articles.
I'm Hipppy, One of the Adminastrators.
I'm officially asking you to look in, and if you like what you see - please join.
http://seedexchange.multiply.com/
I formed this group, only two weeks ago, and it is taking off.
I originally started it for Veggies and Medicinal herbs, but have added other projects.
I love your page, and would be honored to add you as a friend.
Please check my person page out too.
PEACE

brendainmad wrote on Jul 29, '08
I like the climbing ones too. There's so much I don't know about herbs and plants. Thanks for such an informative post.

hedgewitch9 wrote on Jul 29, '08
These are one of my most favourite plants :)

I have several, at the moment they are leggy and flowerless so I am looking forward to their blooming soon :))

starfishred wrote on Jul 28, '08
I love nasturtiums the germans cal them capuciner kress for the flowers look like the hood of a monks robe.I use them in everything they also make a nice edible plate the leaves have a lovely peppery tast
very nice blog thanks loretta
they grow all over my porch where ever I stick a seed

dianahopeless wrote on Jul 28, '08
I adore Nasturtiums. Sadly they only grow well here in the early Spring or late Fall.
This is a wonderful informative post Loretta. TY for sharing.

bennett1 wrote on Jul 28, '08
I adore nasturtiums. I have them in a hanging basket and in several spots in my garden. Their colors range from creamy yellow to orange to bright red. All grown from seed which I soak to make germination easier. I do neglect them because of the saying "Be nasty to nasturtiums." Well, not really neglect, I water them, but no fertilizer unless I want a lot of big leaves and few flowers. I have tasted the leaves but I find I swell up from them - allergy perhaps.

Thanks for your great blog about this wonderful herbaceous flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment