Tuesday 21 August 2012

July 27, 2008, Multiply, I'm composting






I’m Composting!!
 The recycle & compost system where I live is supposed to go like this; we all have green boxes collected at the kerbside every week for glass, plastic bottles and paper (no cardboard), we have big green bins for compost waste shared between two houses and collected every two weeks, we all have big black bins for the little bit that’s left over and they are collected every second week. In reality this is what happens; very few people bother to recycle anything at all. Most people fill their big black bin with every thing and when it’s full they start to fill the big green bins (the ones intended to be shared and used for compost waste). The result is; every one complains that the black bins get too full and should be emptied every week not every two weeks (they would be fine if people used the system properly),  the council workers refuse to remove the big green green bins because they don’t contain compost waste, and most importantly, and to the point……….…..

I had no where to put my compost waste!!
Well now I do, I am the very proud owner of my very own, brand new, compost bin!! This all started a week or so ago when a flyer from
‘NATURAL SCOTLAND’ & ‘WASTE AWARE SCOTLAND’
Came floating through my letter box. I was very impressed, the smallest and cheapest compost bin only cost £6.00, I ‘phoned immediately, ordered over the ‘phone and had delivery within the week. They even sent me very nice little leaflets (all printed on recycled paper of course), explaining what you can compost, how to compost it, what to if it’s too dry or too wet, how to tell when the compost is ready to use and lots more.
                                                                                    . The bonus is, apparently you can compost paper AND cardboard, which means there will be more room in my big black bin ‘cos I’ll compost the cardboard and more room in my green recycle box ‘cos I’ll compost the paper. On top of all that, I shouldn’t have to buy potting compost next year, which is such a bonus. They even sent a little silver bin to keep in the kitchen to collect the kitchen scraps ready to go out to the compost bin.    
                                                                             The little kitchen bin comes complete with plastic liners made from potato starch which can be removed with the contents and thrown into the compost bin. WOW…… that bit I really liked, how good is that?? Plastic liners made from potato starch and designed to be thrown straight into the compost bin!! Seems there are all sorts of accessories I can buy for my compost bin, an aerator to turn it with, think a big stick would probably be just as good, a sieve to fine sieve your compost prior to use, liquid and powder activators to speed up the composting process, replacement potato starch liners, and even a little book to tell you all about composting.
Even though my garden is small I do have this tiny area right at the back where I allow it to go wild. I have a little blue wooden garden divider just to partition off that part of the garden and I’ve recently put big pots behind the garden divider to stop it leaning and falling over. This seemed like the perfect place for my compost bin, so here it is……………….

12 Comments
Add a Comment
   
Comment deleted at the request of the thread owner.

paulishd wrote on Sep 6, '08
I do composting too, in a small plot just past my garden, kind of like what you have. I love not having to put raw food scraps into the disposal!

veroniquemariquita wrote on Jul 28, '08, edited on Jul 28, '08
If I am giving a garden tour, I sometimes throw a tarp of a nice natural color over the mess just to camoflauge it a bit, but all my friends are gardeners so they understand.

veroniquemariquita wrote on Jul 28, '08
I live way out in the country and have my own self-designed waste disposal system. I am not overly concerned with appearance so I just have a large rectangled area sided up with cinder blocks (three high). anything that can be composted goes in there and just waits to break down. It is divided into two parts so each spring the uncomposted stuff can go into the other side to expose the black gold.
All kitchen waste goes to the chickens (Sixteen of em) This keeps them happy and they give me from 12 to 14 eggs a day.
We do have trash pickup (all in one) for the stuff that doesn't fit either of these catagories.

veryfrank wrote on Jul 28, '08
Hello to natural Scotland and waste aware Scotland from the naturally wasteful USA. You have such an advanced recycling program, and to include composting too. It is such a shame that people will be lazy and ignorant and not follow the rules. We have many recycling efforts here, some good, some not so good. We also have the same problem with people, few of them 'get it' and play by the rules. People can be lazy, ignorant and apathetic, but must we have so many like that? There are pigs, goats, sheep and buzzards; I am not still talking about the people, they are all among nature's recyclers. I have decided that a real goat and potbelly pig might make good neighbors, at least they recycle, whereas the look alike pair now there, will not recycle.

I am most impressed with your compost bin and the accessories. I have not heard of such an all encompassing program here. If there is one, you can bet that what you paid for the bin, wouldn't begin to even cover the postage. But I believe that such a full and hopefully functional program is really priceless. Thank you for the very nicely organised blog post.

greenwytch wrote on Jul 28, '08
congratulations, and happy composting. i am also a composter. ; D

brendainmad wrote on Jul 28, '08
Your composter sounds really nice. I really don't understand why people can't put things into the proper bin. It doesn't take a great deal of intelligence nor time to separate it, not to mention that in doing so we're helping our environment. I open the yellow bin to put in cartons and tins (unfortunately in a plastic bag) and smell onions!

kathyinozarks wrote on Jul 28, '08
thats wonderful! I compost all of our food scraps, mostly in a big pile as I live in the woods, but I also have a really nice compost tumbler too-will add you to healthy mondays-

kentuckydeb wrote on Jul 27, '08
WE ALL SHOULD DO THIS. ITS GREAT FOR FLOWERS AND THE GARDEN. I DIDN'T PLANT THIS YEAR . THE PICTURES ARE PRETTY.

driveonac wrote on Jul 27, '08
Hurrah for composter! I've got a neat little bin just at the end of the stairs to my deck, and a big pile (horse stall sweepings) in the back of the property. It all gets used one way or another. Better for all of us than burying in a landfill somewhere or dumping in the ocean.

darkdecember53 wrote on Jul 27, '08
I know many people who wouldn't be without a compost bin. One in particular has a huge one and very beautiful and lush grounds. We already have good soil here in the northeast U.S. but I can see the benefits would be great for clay soil. Be prepared for the odor though lol. You may think a stick will do but as time goes by, the smell can really become so pungent it might knock you over lol.
WTG and best of luck!!! I plan to get one next year as part of my new project to revamp my backyard into a perennial paradise. My Dad always told me to use fish bones in the garden and I can attest to that sound advice. His grounds were always rich and the grass was thicker than a carpet.

bennett1 wrote on Jul 27, '08
I have never had a compost bin, but I have a compost pile in the back part of the property. That is where all my kitchen waste goes, and in the spring I always have nice organic material for my clay soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment