Wednesday 22 August 2012

Feb 12 1012, garden no 3



Garden 2012 no 3

A short update;
I desperately wanted to get home in time to spend a couple of hours in the garden. It was perfect gardening weather, mild, sunny and the ground had completely thawed out. I stayed over at my daughters last night and was delayed getting back, I didn’t think I would be in time for the garden but I was………….just. By the time I finished it was too dark to take photos, but I managed to do most of the things I wanted to do. I planted a row of red onions called ‘Red Barron’, a row of shallots called ‘golden gourmet’ and a second row of broad beans. My first row of broad beans were planted in November and the shoots are about 1 ½ inches now. Hopefully this means I will have broad beans spread out over a longer period. Planting those took a while because they are in the vegetable plot and it needed a bit of a dig over before planting.

I also put my first radish and lettuce into big tubs. In 6-8 weeks I should be getting fresh radish and not long after that I should be getting lettuce to go with them. Guess I’ll have to do the photos another day.
15 Comments
Add a Comment
   

esoterika713 wrote on Feb 13
You are so lucky to have winter done with already. We have another three months at least. Hopefully, by April the bulbs will start to come up.
I am so looking forward to that.
Good luck with your herbs and vegetables. Yum red onions.
:)

mitchylr wrote on Feb 13
I'd be especially looking forward to the red onions and shallots, two of my fave vegetables :-))

brendainmad wrote on Feb 13
veryfrank said
The young leaves, under 6", are used in Mediterranean and mid-east cooking. I suggest that you read on the subject, uses and recipes, etc. It seems that fava beans is the more common name in those countries.
I didn't know you could eat the leaves either. How funny, here they're called fabes (pronounced fah bez)..

veryfrank wrote on Feb 13
I didn't know you could eat the leaves.
The young leaves, under 6", are used in Mediterranean and mid-east cooking. I suggest that you read on the subject, uses and recipes, etc. It seems that fava beans is the more common name in those countries.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 13
veryfrank said
and I've had the young leaves in salad and cooked like braised spinach (in France).
Thanks frank, I didn't know you could eat the leaves. I know the leaves of beetroot can be cooked and eaten but never heard of eating broad bean leaves before. Its good to be able to eat as much of the plant as possible.

veryfrank wrote on Feb 12
Red onions and shallots, so good and so versatile. I like broad beans, the young ones, and I've had the young leaves in salad and cooked like braised spinach (in France). They are called fava beans here but are not a staple food in the US. The lima bean is a lot more commonly used.

artprevails wrote on Feb 12
I hope that works to keep them away from harm's way.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 12
I like their texture too...so good!!!
some of mine were eaten by some sort of grub or worm in the ground, this year I am growing them in compost in tubs, hopefully that will prevent the problem.

artprevails wrote on Feb 12
I like their texture too...so good!!!

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 12
I love fresh radishes...so spicy and beautiful!
:-)..............I'm vegetarian and until last year I used to say the only grown food i didn't like was radish ( and horseradish sauce). Then I grew my own and they were delicious.........so nice, I'm looking forward to eating mine already, can't wait for them to grow.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 12
bennett1 said
The best days are the first days in the garden!! If we had just a little longer down here, I would have planted radishes and lettuce.
radish only take 6 or so weeks, maybe you could grow some to take home with you. That would be a good thing to take away with you.

artprevails wrote on Feb 12
So glad you had time to garden upon getting home:) I love fresh radishes...so spicy and beautiful!

greenwytch wrote on Feb 12
good job, ma'am!

nemo4sun wrote on Feb 12
you are heading towards some great salads

:)

bennett1 wrote on Feb 12
The best days are the first days in the garden!! If we had just a little longer down here, I would have pla

No comments:

Post a Comment