Wednesday 22 August 2012

Aug 3 2012, the garden and other bits



My mouse broke during the week and I’ve not been able to get on the computer for a few days, it makes you realise what a big part of your life the computer is when its not there. Anyway……………..I have a new mouse now and every thing is back to normal. We have had some fantastic weather here this week; in fact it’s probably the best weather we’ve had so far this year, which is not surprising because school holidays finish in other 10 days which means kids, teachers and I, will be cooped up indoors while the sun shines outside. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing this will be the last school holiday for me……..I shall be retired before the summer holidays start next year I will be free to enjoy the sunshine when ever it comes.
I’ve spent a few days in the garden enjoying the summer colours and continuing to harvest what I can.
As well as the fruit, salad and a little veg I’m working my way through the herb garden. I freeze all my herbs now; I think they retain their taste better than dried herbs. This was one days harvest, more broad beans, rhubarb, spring onions and radish, plus a little fruit and some herbs. From left to right the herbs are Fennel, Lovage and Chives.  I’m freezing the fruit as I collect it and eventually I will have a jam making weekend.
And some flowers, I like flowers indoors but prefer ones  a little on the wild side, especially if they were grown in my garden.
Friday was my big day out to St Andrews with a friend. The sun brought the sailing boats out and I just loved sitting watching, it was a riot of colour.
The little sailing boats were so many different colours and to add to the scene, the families of those sailing protected themselves from the wind on the beach by big, multi coloured, canvas wind breakers.
To finish off the perfect day, we went to the St Andrews Museum and saw the Samuel John Peploe art exhibition, what a great painter he was.
To round up the week there was a family BBQ at my daughters house to celebrate her birthday. I just loved her chicken cake, it had little chicken candles and pictures of her chickens inside the chicken house. This is another cake made by my friend, her business is blooming now she is really busy and becoming quite well known around the town.
And when we came home, a perfect sunset through the trees.
15 Comments
Add a Comment
   

artprevails wrote on Aug 5
Your blog is so pleasant...a day in the life of Loretta. That cake is amazing! The bouquet of flowers is so lovely, could you lend them to me for my table? *grin*

What do you do to the herbs to prepare them for freezing? Do you just put them into the freezer in an airtight bag as they are?

nemo4sun wrote on Aug 5
love the chicken cake

:)

pestep55 wrote on Aug 5
The garden is looking beautiful, sounds like you've had a full week. Happy b-day to your daughter. That cake is fantastic, no surprise that business is doing well, wow! Your herb and sail boat pictures are great /:-)

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 5
all lovely loretta our weather has been good to--
love the cake
the sail boats wonderful
Hi Heidi, and thanks, yes its great to finally get some decent weather and be able to have proper summer days out.

starfishred wrote on Aug 5
all lovely loretta our weather has been good to--
love the cake
the sail boats wonderful

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 5
mitchylr said
Glad to hear you've had a good week. You've done better with the weather than me, I've had rain several days this week. Great harvest from the garden. Are you going to use any of the sailing photos as the basis for a painting or two?
Hi Mitch,, yes we have had a really good week, but its overcast again today so don't go getting too jealous. Ans yes..........I took the sailing pictures as inspiration for paintings. I wish I had more with the colourful wind breakers in because those on the beach next to the bright sails was a fantastic sight.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 5
Hope you continue to have good weather for the rest of your holidays.
thanks, I'm hoping so too, but like I said, its usually really nice in June before the schools finish, and then nice for a couple of weeks once the school goes back. Guess its sods law. :-))

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 5
very nice pictures
Hi, and thanks

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 5
That was a tremendous day!!
I LOVE the cake!!!! :))))
Thanks Emma, yep I've had a really good couple of days

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 5

Bought a fishing rod, hope that helps.
lol................sounds like you need one of those little notebook thingies...........can take them and the internet anywhere

remixedphoenix wrote on Aug 5
it makes you realise what a big part of your life the computer is when its not there
Feeling that... keeping the laptop off a day or two is almost as hard as giving up smoking!

Bought a fishing rod, hope that helps. All I need is some decent weather lol

brendainmad wrote on Aug 5
Hope you continue to have good weather for the rest of your holidays.

sunny21144 wrote on Aug 5
very nice pictures

hedgewitch9 wrote on Aug 5
That was a tremendous day!!
I LOVE the cake!!!! :))))

mitchylr wrote on Aug 5
Glad to hear you've had a good week. You've done better with the weather than me, I've had rain several days this week. Great harvest from the garden. Are you going to use any of the sailing photos as the basis for a painting or two?

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to post the comments too from multiply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda I particularly wanted to keep all the Multiply comments even though some people get a bit confused with them. All of those comments are really important to me. I've done something to this site in 'settings' or somewhere and its put those big white '' on every quote in the Multiply comments, now I have no idea what I did or how to get rid of it. I'm still learning

    ReplyDelete