Wednesday 22 August 2012

April 14, 2010, Multiply, Th gardening starts no 9




Gardening no 9
Today was the day I decided to tackle the pond. The pond that I worked so hard on last year and was so proud of had turned into a black muddy mess over the winter. Caused by freezing, thawing, freezing, thawing and freezing some more. The aquatic plants had frozen and welded themselves to the sides and bottom of the pond during the coldest part of the winter. When I tried to remove the ice the plants came away too and the pots split and spilt aquatic compost into the water. As if that wasn’t bad enough this all mixed with the ton of leaves and general debris brought in by the blizzards. I’ve already said I lost all the new fish I put in last year. As the ice thawed they were floating on the top just waiting for me to scoop them out.
Today was the day set aside for restoring the pond. I scooped gallons of dirty black water out and freed the sides of a generous coating of green slime. The more water I scooped the blacker it became and the less I could see. And then I saw something move, a sole survivor, the plainest, most ordinary and by far the cheapest little fish to go into the pond has survived the winter.
I thought the pond had frozen solid, obviously not. I did initially think this one had survived because I didn’t find his body with the others. I’ve seen no sign of him for a couple of months and the water was so black I’d convinced myself he had died too. Even more incredibly, he is about three times the size he was last year and I have no idea what he found to eat in that muddy pond.

He is now sitting in a small tank full of his dirty greenish water on my kitchen table and not looking very happy about the move, I think he is keen to get back to his pond. After hours of scooping and cleaning and rearranging, the slow task of refilling began. One bucket at a time the pond began to take shape. I’ve not finished, the job is exhausting and I couldn’t muster the energy to haul another bucket of water outside which is why the little fish will be spending the night on the kitchen table.

In an attempt to keep the pond in better condition I’ve ordered a solar powered pump and fountain, it’s supposed to increase the amounts of oxygen in the water and reduce the amounts of algae. Moving water is less likely to freeze so as long as we have a little sunlight, the water should not freeze next winter. I hope it works, this is what the product info says
•  Allows you to create your own solar powered water feature
• Operates in direct sunlight only
• Powered by a separate solar panel (supplied)
• 2.5 m cable to solar panel provides location flexibility
• Maximum fountain height up to 12 inches, 30cm (jet fountain head)
5 Comments
Add a Comment
   

brendainmad wrote on Apr 15, '10
My sister Diana has a pump for her pond. However, she takes the turtles and the fish out in the winter (yes, I said turtles and fish swimming together) and puts them in an indoor aquarium. I'm glad that fellow survived!

djdx wrote on Apr 15, '10
I think there are many variables in creating a pond and keeping fish. Water quality is important and I'm not sure tap (faucet) water is the best for fish. As it is a small pond, two goldfish might be perfect. I have read stuff about over-wintering ponds; I think they need some kind of air-hole such as plant debris so that the ice can't totally coat the water. That pump should be nice as you will also have the sound of the water.

veryfrank wrote on Apr 14, '10
The pump and the fountain sound like a good idea, good luck with that. That little fish is a survivor, beating the odds.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Apr 14, '10, edited on Apr 14, '10
still waiting for it to arrive, I ordered online today (amazon) and just been notified it has been dispatched so I'm hoping to have it tomorrow. The review seemed good but you can never be really sure about things ordered online until they arrive. as for little fishy, he is the original plain ordinary non-fancy goldfish, first fish in the pond and only survivor. Think I'll buy another very plain ordinary goldfish to keep him company.

bennett1 wrote on Apr 14, '10
What a great little fishy!! Way to go little buddy! I hope he/she makes it another year. Love your solar powered pond. I may start the agitation for a pond here. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment